Sunday 2 January 2011

My New Year's Resolutions

Creative Commons License
Stuff and Nonsense by Amy Cockram is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.

I don't normally make New Year's Resolutions. No-one ever keeps them, and you only feel like a fool when you get to the end of the year and realise that you haven't done anything that you intended to.

However, when I wrote my last blog and realised how long it had been since I had last written on here, I thought maybe I should make some reading and writing based resolutions.

You can take it as a given that I think I should try and write on my blog more.

Also, as I tend to read a few books at the same time, maybe I should introduce some variety into my reading. So I will try to be reading at any one time:
1 - A nonfiction book to challenge my brain and extend my knowledge a bit more. I've nearly finished "On Monsters" - review to follow soon - so my next non-fiction might be either Stephen Pinker's "How the Mind Works" or Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Eveything" from my book shelves.
2 - A classic from my ereader to improve my reading education further and maybe try to get a few more of those elusive books on the BBC essential reading list covered.
3 - A more modern challenging fiction book - I might return to "The End of Mr Y."
4 - I'm allowed a breakfast book (a book for purely fun reading when my brain can't handle anything too challenging). I think of these as breakfast books because I can't read anything too intelligent early in the morning.

Also - and this is more an aim than a resolution - I think I'd like to try to get something published this year.

I haven't even started on standard resolutions, like I need to try to eat healthier this year and lose a bit of weight.

I know New Year's Resolutions hardly ever get kept. But I hope that, in putting them publicly on here, I will have to do something about them or else at the end of this year anyone who has read this article will have the perfect right to say to me, "Well, did you...?"

No comments:

Post a Comment