Sunday 11 March 2012

My tribute to Douglas Adams on (what would have been) his 60th birthday

Creative Commons License
Stuff and Nonsense by Amy Cockram is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.

I have been on Twitter and Facebook today, and it is great to see so many people quoting and paying tribute to Douglas Adams.  I love his writing, and was saddened by his early death; it is sad when anyone dies so comparatively young and leaves behind a wife and child, but I was also selfishly sad in regretting the loss all the wonderful writing that we could have had if he had lived on.

So I just joined in the tributes on Twitter by quoting the first couple of lines of Vogon poetry.  When I was a teenager I decided to memorise Vogon poetry - I really can't remember why - and I was curious to see how much I could recall.  I put on the first couple of lines, and checked my accuracy only to find that I was just a bit out on the punctuation.  So, as my own slightly unusual tribute to the great Douglas Adams, I thought I would see how much more I can remember.  When I checked on the first couple of lines I did not look on further, so this is continued entirely from memory...

Oh freddled gruntbuggly thy micturations are to me
As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
Oh Groop, I implore thee
My foonting turlingdromes
And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurdlecruncheon, see if I don't!

So how did I do?  I think I am probably still off with the punctuation, but hopefully I was pretty accurate.  I'm about to dig out my copy and check.

Thank you, DNA, for all the brilliant writing, the ideas and the laughs that you gave us.

1 comment:

  1. It turns out I was pretty accurate, apart from the addition of an extraneous "Oh" in front of Groop, and this should have been one line that continues on to "my foonting..."

    I'm now going to sit quietly and try to work out why I didn't have many boyfriends when I was a teenager.

    ReplyDelete